Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World of Card Games supports Hand Animator format
Thumbs Up 
(08-20-2015, 07:44 PM)mickmackusa Wrote:  It is now my opinion that, for players who want to analyze/develop their skills, WoCG is best site for pinochle.

Thank you, I am very happy to hear that! I try to do what I can to make the site useful to card players with all experience levels.

FWIW: I would love to make something like the hand animator available to players of other games. I'm sure your time is limited, and I know this board is all about the Pinochle... but if you ever find yourself twiddling your thumbs, I would love to see a hand animator for games like Euchre, Hearts, or Spades. I suspect you'd get players from other games at WoCG making use of it here.

(08-20-2015, 07:44 PM)mickmackusa Wrote:  Having the histories emailed to the players is a clever feature as well!
Previous discussions have weighed the benefit of public record access versus the privacy concerns of players who don't want to be analyzed.
By emailing only the involved players (who requested the history), the game will only be directly distributed to a maximum of 4 people. (greater privacy via exclusivity)

I had read in one of the forum threads that a player was upset at the idea of having their hand history exposed publicly. I can't say I understand it, but I do make an effort to accommodate people, and I realized that if one person felt that way, there would be others. I don't want people to be afraid to use this feature. Currently, people can do what they want with their hand histories, and not worry about other people seeing it.

(08-20-2015, 07:44 PM)mickmackusa Wrote:  Thank you for not including the usernames in your hand history notation.  Keeping players anonymous will ensure analyses are unbiased and non-hurtful.
I am curious...  In the email to the user, do you tell them which compass-direction they were seated in?  If they play multiple games before reviewing, they will surely forget their seat.

Currently, no extra information is sent in the email. I can certainly add this info if people want it (in fact the seats at the table are not distinguished by NSEW so you would need to remember what cards you were dealt to remember your position). I don't know the easiest way to deal with this. Initially I was going to include the first few letters of the player's name, along with the postiion (e.g. "marya" in the south seat would show up as "S-ma"). What do people think of that, is it showing too much? I could include the names of all the players in the email, together with seat positions, maybe at the top of the file, outside of the formatted hand history. Do you think this would cause problems? Once names are included in the file, you do increase the risk of player "humiliation."

(08-20-2015, 07:44 PM)mickmackusa Wrote:  PlayOK offers hand histories as soon as the previous hand was completed.

Maybe it was not clear, but this is the same way that it works at WoCG. For obvious reasons, hand histories are not available during the play of a hand. You may send them to yourself when the hand scores are shown. Once you receive them, you can check them at Power Pinochle's hand animator.

WoCG has a timeout for gameplay at public tables. If you decide to go check the hands during gameplay, you will get timed out, to your own detriment. In contrast, at private tables, you may pause a game. The assumption is that people who know each other reasonably well are playing at private tables, and they will not abuse the pause feature (it also requires a majority vote). In this case, all players may want to agree to pause the game and check out the hand histories in order to discuss what happened. That's all for the good IMHO.

(08-20-2015, 07:44 PM)mickmackusa Wrote:  Hand History Authenticity:
Because players will be submitting the raw notation (as opposed to having it submitted to PP directly from the WoCG server) there is potential for modifying the notation.  While I don't think this is a major concern, it should be mentioned that all submissions may be tampered with.
When developing the Hand Animator for PlayOK, I was working on a way to reference the game via a PlayOK url which held the notation in a .txt file.  This removed the "middle man" and ensured authenticity.  I didn't get around to completing that feature, but I do plan to one day.

TBH I don't see this as a concern. From my point of view, hand histories are there for instruction, not to prove your mad Pinochle skillz. If this becomes an issue, then I'm open to other solutions, possibly hosting hand history files at WoCG, or even sending them to Power Pinochle for storage (if you want to develop an API, I could call it to send this info so that the histories are stored at PP, with no risk of them being tampered with by a middleman). But then, this opens the can of worms about publicly identifiable user names... and whether to include them in hand histories.

Marya
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!

Messages In This Thread
RE: World of Card Games supports Hand Animator format - marya - 08-20-2015, 08:36 PM