Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Default Pinochle Site for PP Tools?
I reckon it is remiss of me to leave the default site / scorechart for Power Pinochle tools as Yahoo.
Yahoo has been gone for some time and may never return.  If/When it does, I will poll and reassess.

Does anyone have any reasons to not set "PlayOK.com & Pogo.com & Games.com" as our new default scorechart?
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
I'm late to the party, but would love it if you would add World of Card Games to the scorechart. I used Pagat's meld table, which appears to be identical to PlayOK, Pogo, and Games.com - Marya
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
I think rather than adding WoCG to the growing list of sites that use this new standard scorechart, I think I would rather save text space and give the scorechart a name.  I could then reference elsewhere all of the known sites that use it.

So what shall PP call it?  I shall now take nominations for the terminology.

Perhaps including logical keywords like:
Universal/International/Global
Online/Web/Digital
Standard/Popular
etc...

Or is there proof that there was a first company/site to use it?  Should they get credit for it?

Does the word "Pagat" get consideration? justification would be required.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Pagat appears to be a standard reference, at least judging from an internet search. The Double Deck Pinochle page at Pagat says that it was taken from several sources, e.g. John Hay's Pinochle page. But when I followed that link, all I saw was a reference for single deck Pinochle. Pagat also refers to an archive copy of "Brad Wilson's former Double Deck Pinochle page." If you search the web, though, you find the reference available at a new, non-archived site: http://bradwilson.typepad.com/games/2009...ochle.html

To add to the confusion, the NPA (pdf) has a different set of rules for melds.
marya looks to be right. Evidence: search google for "double deck pinochle rules." Pagat comes up first. The bradwilson site comes up 2nd. But if memory serves me, back when we were looking for different score charts, pagat got referenced fairly often.

And yes, we saw that NPA uses a different meld chart, and one that has a MAJOR impact, because runs are given enormous value. There are a few other systems...check out mick's tool, I don't recall them all offhand...but IIRC they were minor...like, the value of a triple pinochle, or counting a trump marriage AND the run (so it's 19 total, not 15). The former is rare; the latter is only a 4 point difference, instead of a 10 point difference as with the NPA's chart.
While Pagat is a fantastic source for card game rules and information, I'd rather make association with the inventor versus the most popular distributor.

Thomas Edison is famous for inventing the light bulb, but this is simply not true.

I would like to either pinpoint and celebrate the true inventor in naming the meld scoring chart, or generate a truly logical, intuitive name.

I know this is such a small thing to quibble over, but if any of our Power Pinochle terms become universally accepted by players, I would rather get it "right".
Well, that might be great if there was an inventor, and if that person was known. Pinochle almost certainly mutated from similar games. If you know poker...5 card draw might be the core, most basic form. Then 5 card stud...a more bet-heavy form, with more information but therefore more bluffing. Hold'em allowed for much larger tables. Omaha is extremely closely related to Hold'em. Then there's high-low Omaha. Double deck pinochle was almost certainly a variant on single deck...I can just see (because I've known a couple people who did this) people going, well it's ok but it's dull. What if we used 2 decks? Hey, now we get scoring! Oh but you know, 24 cards in my hand...that's too much. Let's ditch the 9's; they're really an afterthought anyway. Boom...double deck. The meld values would develop after a while.
Yeah, I found essentially no history of Double Deck Pinochle online. The wiki page is pretty useless. I think you'll have to figure out a logical/intuitive name. How about "internet standard" lol.
Okay, I have settled on "Web Standard" as the term for the score chart that nearly all digital pinochle games use.
I've rolled out the change through the PP tools.

Web Standard is now the default score chart.  Of course, if you have previously used the Training or Test programs with another chart, you'll have to play again with Web Standard selected so that it can be saved to your profile.
"Web Standard" - perfect description! Thanks!