Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Theoretical Bidding System
(08-31-2013, 06:06 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  It'd be the same as 59. It doesn't *ask*...it absolutely DEMANDS a save on ANY marriage whatsoever, if the next player passes.

My big problem is, your benefits are not significant. 1 more bid under 60...show me an auction where it matters. Stops opponents from communicating...so does 59. Gives clear information to partner...so does 59.

The ONE situation is when there are 2 or 3 meld bids before you...say, 53-56. (Or VERY rarely, 1 big meld-showing bid.) 59 would NOT be double aces...so, yes, it would be nice to have a bid showing the double aces, and an agreement about when the bid means double aces, and when it's pure meld. That doesn't mean I'd want to ALWAYS use that bid to show double aces.

One short argument before I move on to the bulk of this message...
A 59 Bid doesn't stop the opponents communicating, rather it forces them to communicate (if they can) in increments of 5 using over60 bidding techniques.
A 100 Bid will likely force the opponents to PASS or communicate with unsafe bids unless they are amazingly fortunate to have enough meld to compete in 3-digit bids.

Regardless, yours are some really good pieces of feedback. Some of which I used in my Conditional Statements post.
I'm not sure if it's possible to win you over with a new bidding system, TE. However, I intend to target your biggest concerns and make changes where I can.

I'd like to create new terminology to explain some of bidding system strengths/weaknesses.
  1. "Hard Bid" - a bid that requires no mathematical calculation from the previous bid.
  2. "Semi-Hard" - a bid that requires little or partial mathematical calculation from the previous bid.
  3. "Soft Bid" - a bid that is mathematically calculated from the previous bid.
Hard and Semi-Hard Bids are convenient when they clearly convey the message, but they become a hindrance when they give a muddled message, take up a space that could have been otherwise used by a Soft Bid, or become unusable because of a previous bid.

In the CABS, consider the following bids:
  • 51 Single Aces Around Bid - is a Hard Bid.
    • Strength: Clear Language
    • Weakness: Unusable by any player after any bid
    • Weakness: Removes an under60 bid away from a Soft Bid

• 58 Unlimited Meld Bid - is a Semi-Hard Bid
    • Strength: Allows a player to give a Meld Bid (instead of being forced to PASS) even if numerically limited
    • Weakness: If the previous bid is 57, may be misinterpretted as a Control Bid

• 59 Double Aces Around Bid - is a Hard Bid.
    • Strength: Locks out under60 communicative bidding
    • Weakness: When the previous bid is 56/57/58, may be misinterpretted as a Meld Bid or even a Control Bid because Double Aces is so rare
    • Weakness: Removes an under60 bid away from a Soft Bid

In my Theoretical BS, (yes, the humor in the name is not missed by me.) consider the following bids:
  • Single Aces Around Bid - is a Soft Bid, calculation is Previous Bid + 2.
    • Strength: Accessibility - usable from no previous bid through to a previous bid of 58
    • Note: when no previous bid, Bid is 51 just like the CABS

• Meld Bid - is a Soft Bid, calculation is Previous Bid + (Rounded Meld / 10) + 1.
    • Weakness: Inflation - all Meld Bids in system cost 1 more than in the CABS

• 59 Unlimited Support Bid - is a Semi-Hard Bid
    • Strength: Allows a player to give a Meld Bid (instead of being forced to PASS) even if numerically limited
    • Strength: Allows a player to give a [Any Multiple] Aces Around Bid (instead of being forced to PASS) even if numerically limited
    • Strength: Provides first of 2 ways to communicate Double(&Triple&Quadruple) Aces Around without using the Hard 58 space
    • Strength: Locks out under60 communicative bidding
    • Weakness: When the previous bid is 57 or 58, the Bid Type is not clear: Meld Bid? Single Aces Bid? Double Aces Bid?
    • Note: When used for Double Aces Around Bid, only the meld value can be assumed by partner; this is solved by bidding 100

• 100 Double Aces Around Bid - is a Hard Bid
    • Strength: Provides second of 2 ways to communicate Double Aces, which is not vulnerable to typical Shutout Bids
    • Strength: Provides Clear Language for both meld and trick value
    • Strength: Greatly inhibits the opponent's ability to make any more safe bids
    • Note: I am not going to call it a weakness, but not saving a >100 Contract stings more than not saving a ~60 Contract

Alright team, let's talk about it.
I reckon this system is nearing its testing phase!
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle

Messages In This Thread
Theoretical Bidding System - mickmackusa - 08-23-2013, 08:55 AM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 08-27-2013, 02:04 PM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 08-28-2013, 03:32 PM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - FLACKprb - 08-29-2013, 08:07 PM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - mickmackusa - 09-01-2013, 10:44 AM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 09-02-2013, 02:35 PM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 09-03-2013, 08:37 AM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 09-03-2013, 09:51 PM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 09-03-2013, 11:26 PM
RE: Theoretical Bidding System - rakbeater - 09-04-2013, 09:07 AM