Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pointing with Aces
Quick question to discuss:

Most people assume this to mean you have the remaining ace(s) or you are out of that suit. Either way, it appears to be an opportunity to get to your partner. Should you ever throw an Ace on your partners Ace just to give them a point?
The most common case is when it's no good as a trick. You sit North, holding ADKDQD. South is declarer in spades. West has melded aces. South cashes AD, AD. You have to play KD, then AD, because you have to presume West is going to be in before you are (most likely whenever South exits), and that he'll play his AD.

At the end of a hand, you might want to do it if the point is a tipping point...I don't know if there's a real term, but this fits. Tipping points represent sudden shifts...so the point where one of these things happen:

On defense:
a) we save
b) we set them

On offense:
c) we make
d) we prevent them from saving

Maybe the most common is a). When it's down to the last 3 or 4 tricks, it's pretty common that declarer will be in position to run the last few, and we KNOW he's in that position. Say we're at 17 counters. Pard plays an ace, declarer follows with a point, and we know dummy's out of trump. OK, I'm playing my ace, it's point 20.

There can be 2 tipping points, which makes things tricky. Same situation, but now declarer needs to pull 29 to save. Ohhhh...we'd be at 19 if I keep the ace, but with a lot more chance to reach 22 and set them. This becomes very situational...what's the melds for each side, and what's the game score at this point? And, how confident are you in your read of the trick-taking situation? If it's fairly early in the game, I'll probably play to set them...because that tipping point is much sharper. Our save/no-save is (say) 50-60 points we get or not. The set/no-set is twice that.