Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Spoiler" tags?
Forums related to games often have a 'spoiler' tag, so you can post, but normally hide, information that would give away a trick or plot element or the like. This'd be useful whenever we post a quiz or problem. Does this board software support that?
(08-12-2013, 06:39 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  Forums related to games often have a 'spoiler' tag, so you can post, but normally hide, information that would give away a trick or plot element or the like. This'd be useful whenever we post a quiz or problem. Does this board software support that?

Cool idea. I know what you mean. imdb.com uses these. For anyone that doesn't know what is being asked for, an example can be seen @
imdb.com's Parents Guide for The Usual Suspects (1995)
Scroll down to the red text in the "Frightening/Intense Scenes" section.

I'll research this, but I advise that no one hold their breath.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Done.
Here is the link: Spoiler Tag Announcement
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Awesome.
After rolling out the existing spoiler tag, I found another spoiler behavior available which is more like the imdb.com example I previously posted.

Do you like the Click Here with the option of "Custom Text" inside the spoiler tag?
Because an alternative is to simply have the text blackened out (changing the background of the text to black -- creating black font with black background) until the text is hovered over by the cursor/mouse which toggles the background color to grey for viewing.

The current behavior calls for the user to Click-to-Reveal. This is handy in the rare case that you don't have a mouse/cursor to work with.
I don't have an ipad or touchscreen device at my disposal, so I don't know how they operate with cursor position. If you wanted to hover over the text, would you have to drag your finger over the spoiler text and leave your finger there? That might be annoying -- trying to read text that is under your finger.

...Actually, I just found two ways to reveal the spoiler text on hover: http://blog.philenotfound.com/2010/07/bl...cross.html
If you want a mouseover effect, which one do you want? Blurring Effect or Blackout Effect?

If anyone would like a change to the existing spoiler tag, speak now.

...Maybe a more important question is: Do you want access to all of these spoiler tag behaviors?
I suppose I could write something to separate each type.

OnClick Reveal:
Code:
[spoiler1=With Cusom Text]text[/spoiler1]

OnMouseOver Blackout Effect:
Code:
[spoiler2]text[/spoiler2]

OnMouseOver Blurring Effect:
Code:
[spoiler3]text[/spoiler3]
I don't like the blackout effect at all. It's visually unappealing. I also prefer a positive action...clicking...rather than a passive action like mousing over.