Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you give 20?
You sit South. East opens with 50 in first seat in front of you. With which of the following hands do you bid 52 if a) the score is basically even, early on in the game (so score doesn't push you to be aggressive OR to be conservative), b) your side has a big lead (420-150, say), c) the opponents need 31 a couple hands in a row to have a chance (480-200, say) or d) double bidder out (450-450 or the like)?

1. TCTCKCQCJCJCTDKDQDQDKSQSQSJSJSTHTHKHQHJH

2. ACTCKCQCJCADADTDTDKDASASKSKSQSTHTHKHQHJH

3. ACACACKCKCQCQCADTDTDQDQDJDJDASJSAHQHJHJH

4. ACACACQCQCJCJCADADADTDQDJDJDTSQSJSTHQHJH
1. a b c
2. a b c
3. a b c

Meld-first bidder. The reason for the bids above is to show 20-ish meld. 4 is aces-and-spaces and to be would be a 51 bid.
I should add: give the reasoning behind your decisions. Smile Perhaps state a general one, but if you choose an answer like tony's abc, then *why not* for d would be interesting.
1 (24) a b c d
I have 20+ meld. No Aces to cash, but if my partner has the minimum trump length (7), I have trump support for partner.

2 (14 19A) a b c d
I have flat distribution. 19 adjusted meld is close enough to 20. [b c d] If partner bids Spades we have a good chance of going out. If partner chooses another suit my 5 tricks should allow us to outscore the opposition. [a] If spades are trump, we are guaranteed to outscore the opposition, the rest is up to partner. If 14 + (5 * 2.5) isn't enough for partner - what is?

3 (14 20A) a b c d
50-50(suitwise) I have the World's Fair for partner. He has, at most 1 spade loser. Hearts, partner is on the Slow Boat to 50. If he picks spades - then we have to play cards. But I have my share of the 50. (And another thread went on to say bidding 52 helps partner more than bidding 51, especially if East bids the 50.)

4 (14 20A) a b c d
50-50(suitwise) I have the World's Fair for partner. Otherwise 3 trump is not so bad. And paraphrasing "Politics and Poker" in the show Fiorello, "When you're holding 20 meld, bit it.
Rick Hall
(08-13-2013, 10:09 AM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  I should add: give the reasoning behind your decisions. Smile Perhaps state a general one, but if you choose an answer like tony's abc, then *why not* for d would be interesting.

lol I forgot D - I had to go to work. I'll edit now.
OK, we have spoiler tags, so I'll give my opinions inside spoilers...

These problems cover 2 points:

1. Is each hand worth adjusting to 20?
2. Under what circumstances might you change your mind?

Remember the 4 situations:
a) the score is basically even, early on in the game (so score doesn't push you to be aggressive OR to be conservative)
b) your side has a big lead (420-150, say)
c) the opponents need 31 a couple hands in a row to have a chance (480-200, say)
d) double bidder out (450-450 or the like)

Why did I pick these? a) is the generic case, that holds most of the time. In b) and c), my principle is this: DO NOT go set. PERIOD. DO NOT shave requirements. In d), the exact opposite is true: aggression is demanded.

So...

Hand 1
Hand 2
Hand 3
Hand 4