Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World of Card Games supports Hand Animator format
Well done, Marya, this is very exciting.
WoCG is now the first site to deliver hand histories that fully function on the Hand Animator.
This is a great leap forward and will be very useful for players who wish to analyze their game.
It is now my opinion that, for players who want to analyze/develop their skills, WoCG is best site for pinochle.

Having the histories emailed to the players is a clever feature as well!
Previous discussions have weighed the benefit of public record access versus the privacy concerns of players who don't want to be analyzed.
By emailing only the involved players (who requested the history), the game will only be directly distributed to a maximum of 4 people. (greater privacy via exclusivity)

I need to discuss with rakbeater the prospect of creating a dedicated subforum for Hand/Game History Analyses.  This will serve to as a repository for ACTUAL HANDS where the analytical discussion may span across Bidding, Offense, and Defense.  Creating said subforum will also lighten the load of the Pinochle Discussion subforum.

***As a reminder to future hand history posters, please do not mention the usernames of the other humans involved in your hand history.  You may identify your own seat (and bots) if you wish, otherwise, just phrase directed analysis to the seat name.***
Administrators will be closely moderating this for the benefit of all members and non-members.  PP must be a safe haven for pinochle players.

Thank you for not including the usernames in your hand history notation.  Keeping players anonymous will ensure analyses are unbiased and non-hurtful.
I am curious...  In the email to the user, do you tell them which compass-direction they were seated in?  If they play multiple games before reviewing, they will surely forget their seat.

PlayOK offers hand histories as soon as the previous hand was completed.  While this allows players to explain themselves during the game and potentially extinguish emotional flare ups using real data, I can easily imagine the side-effect of this to be a slow game.   I mean, potentially each hand, some/all players would stop to look at the previous hand and the game stalls which would greatly diminish the user experience.

Hand History Authenticity:
Because players will be submitting the raw notation (as opposed to having it submitted to PP directly from the WoCG server) there is potential for modifying the notation.  While I don't think this is a major concern, it should be mentioned that all submissions may be tampered with.
When developing the Hand Animator for PlayOK, I was working on a way to reference the game via a PlayOK url which held the notation in a .txt file.  This removed the "middle man" and ensured authenticity.  I didn't get around to completing that feature, but I do plan to one day.

It is unlikely, but if I change any of the notation, I will let you know.
If you would like any additions on my end, let me know.

Now, who will be the first to submit a full game?!?
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle

Messages In This Thread
RE: World of Card Games supports Hand Animator format - mickmackusa - 08-20-2015, 07:44 PM