Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How do you bid with this hand?
If partner starts with 53, it's a whole new ballgame. I don't save; I can't tolerate a 20 meld bid from LHO in 4th seat. Remember, too: partner can't have a great offensive hand, because he gave meld. This is pretty much an 8 trick hand, with a solid starting approach (the 4 aces, to see if partner can signal, hopefully to cash 1 or 2 spades to pick up my points there). Partner has 30, I have 8, I see 8 tricks for 20. That's 58. So, I'll bid 60 if I'm playing it safe, but 65 is more likely to buy it, and will still make fairly frequently. Yes, it might need *a bit* extra from partner, but we're talking maybe 1 more trick, or 2 extra meld.

But it's definitely not a 'save' hand because I *want* to play it, once I hear the meld from partner. I pass in first seat with it, because I can't expect that much from my partner...but once I know I have it, I'm happy to play it.

EDIT: if the auction starts 53-55 to me, then 65 is absolutely necessary, IMO. When RHO gives 20, LHO can often bid 65, so I can't let him. It's just too common. If my partner has a run, yes he might be able to compete a bit higher...but it won't be a good run. He might have the semi-balanced hand with a weak 7 card run; in that case, because I do have support, it might be better if he plays it. But that's a quite specific, therefore unlikely, hand. If the auction starts 53-56...well, I'll bid 65 but not with any great hope. I can try to block LHO when he doesn't have a run, but odds are we can't outbid them.

Messages In This Thread
How do you bid with this hand? - rakbeater - 06-09-2013, 09:38 AM
RE: How do you bid with this hand? - ToreadorElder - 06-29-2013, 07:56 AM