Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jack leadback
I'm not sure whether this comes under "Offense", "Defense" or "Pinochle Discussion". I just wanted to announce that I've added a strategy page on the Jack lead back at World of Card Games. I also created a little video tutorial that I posted to youtube.

I made the page because I couldn't find a really clear description of how this leadback works. It may seem obvious if you've been playing pinochle forever, but as a relative neophyte, I thought it was confusing. I was trying to use the strategy myself, and also program it into the bots, and it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be at first.

If anyone reads the above page or watches the video and has commentary, feel free to politely or not-so politely criticize it, either here or in the comments section on the page/video. I'm trying to improve the bots, and my own skills, and I hope I've done it correctly.
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
It looks fundamentally correct.  What I would suggest is an example or two of why the jack signal matters.  For the sake of argument, for all these examples, South is declarer after 50-pass-pass-pass, and spades are trumps.

1.  South cashes 2 club aces.  North's club suit:   AC AC KC KC JC .  North should play  KC then  JC if he chooses to signal.  If he plays an ace on South's second ace, he likely costs his side a trick.

2.  South cashes a club ace, among others.  West wins South's exit.  His ace-cashing includes 2 club aces.  East started with  AC TC TC KC JC JC .  On West's second ace, East can't afford to play his ace...same thing.  It may cost a trick.  So East's jack is the signal.

3.  You can generally use ace on ace, when it's not going to cost a trick.  South cashes 2 club aces;  North started with  AC AC TC KC QC JC .  North played  KC on the first, and can choose  AC or  JC for the second.  He'll have  TC for the 4th round of the suit, after cashing elsewhere, if he chooses the  AC .  So what's the difference?   JC would be setting up to run clubs later.   AC would be asking to get in *ASAP* ... like, North has aces he needs to get cashed before the defense gets in.  For the sake of definiteness, say South cashes 2 club aces, and 1 diamond ace.  As North, I'd play ace on ace with any of these:

TS XS XS XS XS XS AH XH XH XH XH XH AC AC TC KC QC JC UD UD

North wants to get in, to exit with the *diamond*.  To set up ruffs when South started with, say, 5 diamonds.  North's heart ace is a side bonus, but the compelling reason to make the strong signal is the diamond suit.

XS XS XS XS XH XH XH AC AC TC KC QC JC AD AD XD XD XD XD XD 

The 4th diamond will often get ruffed, so North signals to get in and cash his before the defense can take theirs.

XS XS XS XS AH XH XH AC AC TC KC QC JC AD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Both red aces are at risk.
Thanks very much! I will take a stab at adding at least one of your examples to the page, and also link back here.
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!