Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An odd bid-or-pass hand...
This isn't a matter of bidding principles, but risks and style.  

You are in 4th seat, ahead 400-275.  You get:

AS AS TS TS QS QS   AH TH KH JH JH   AC AC TC   AD AD TD TD JD JD

The auction starts Pass - 50 - 58 to you.

Do you bid...something, I won't ask what, it'll be some bid to try to show meld, and you are not very familiar with your partner...or pass, when 

a)  The player in 3rd seat is unknown to you,   and
b)  the player in 3rd seat has already shown some rather erratic bidding?  This exact auction happened on the first hand of the game, and 3rd seat had bid 58 on 

AS TS KS   KH KH QH QH JH   AC AC KC KC QC QC JC   AD TD KD QD JD

which, by my lights, is giving the rope to the hangman.  The meld's there, but that's all...you have to name diamonds to have the meld.

c)   What if it was double bidder out?

There is no 'right' answer, IMO;  I think it's the factors involved that matter.  My opinion later.
My opinions...

First:  experience matters.  If I have played with this partner before, then:

--if I know, or at least strongly fear, he *would not* understand a weird-sounding jump, I'm passing in all cases.  

--if I know my partner will understand an unusual jump as showing meld, and asking (even begging, when I jump high) him to bid again, OR if I don't really know if he'll understand it, we move into...

I would definitely pass as what bid could you give where you know you're partner doesn't think you want the bid and passes along with player who bid 58?

Way to risky in my opinion at that stage of the game to do anything but pass. Your partner likely has a good suit and you've got power with those aces so there is a very good chance you will save your meld and be in a position to win the game on the next hand.
If you can trust your partner, then EVERY bid other than 59 has to show meld here, IMO.  No other approach makes any sense at all to me.  However, lots of players will miss it.  So 60 would show 20 (and probably a hefty 20);  65 shows 30, and 70 shows 40.