Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would you pass?
First seat.  Late in the game...you're down, 410-440.

You get this:

AS JS AH AH AH TH TH KH KH KH JH AC AC QC QC AD AD AD AD TD

You're in FIRST seat.  Your call...pass or 51?

I bid 51, but VERY nervously.  This will sound strange, but I have *too many* aces to be comfortable about it.  There's only 6 aces sitting out, so partner can easily be very, very weak...and therefore not want to bid.  And the opponents are on the hook, and could be in biiiiig trouble.  On the other hand...yeah it is masterminding to a degree, but that *can* be acceptable with extreme hands.  And this is pretty extreme.

So...thoughts?

There's an interesting point to the play here too, about trust.  Here's the whole hand:

S AJ
           H AAAKKKJTT
           D AAAAT
           C AAQQ

S AAKKQT   +-------+  S KKQQJTTT
H AKQJ     |   N   |  H JTT
D KKQJT    | W   E |  D KQT
C AAKKQ    |   S   |  C KJJTTT
           +-------+

S AQJJ
           H QQQJ
           D KQQJJJT
           C KQJJT

[Auction "W"]
51 Pass 53 65
Pass - Pass

CA CQ CK CJ
HA HJ HT HJ
CA CQ CT CJ
SQ SA SJ SJ
SJ SQ SA SK
SQ ST HA SK
DJ DA DQ DK
HT HJ HQ HJ
HT HT HQ HQ
HA SK HQ HK
CJ CK CQ CA     (1)
HK SQ SJ SK
DQ DT DK DT  (2)
HK ST DJ SA
DK DA DT DJ  (3)
HK ST DQ SA
DK DA ST DJ  
CJ CT CK CA
HA CT DQ CK
DA CT CQ DT

(1)  This was a really good play by East as dummy.  I've screamed I have *everything* in the red suits...but I don't have texture in clubs, probably.  Dummy, after ruffing the heart, led the club because there were tricks to be set up.  But at points 2 and 3, declarer kept leading a hopeless diamond, letting me continue to force trump from BOTH opponents.  The clubs set up...but too late.  Their trumps were all gone.  They missed by 4;  they could have picked up 2 club tricks that would've been worth more than 4.