Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bidding tactics: save seat
Partner deals;  RHO passes.  Your call.  What to do?

There's one big wild card:  LHO.  LHO has complete freedom to bid as high as he likes.  And he should bid high, if he's going to bid at all.  Of course, he might pass no matter what;  and there are poor bidders out there who won't jump if you bid 50.  But until you know LHO's bidding habits...assume he'll bid 58+ or pass.

What does this mean?  It puts higher priority on giving meld.  Say you hold:

AC TC TC KC QC QC JC AD AD KD QD TS TS KS KS QS AH KH QH JH

In first seat, the choice between 50 and 52 is pretty close.  In this situation, you're better off starting with 52, to show that 20.  It lets partner bid 65 or 70, as needed over LHO's call, with considerably more hands.

Remember that 50 can just be a save bid.  So when you bid 50, you've actually made the *least* informative call.  When you pass, you've said a few things...you have no biddable suit (IMO, TTKQJJ or better), and you can't give meld.  When you bid 50 here, you have one of:

a)  a legitimate opener where you'd bid 50 in first seat
b)  just a save without meld
c)  the uncommon hand where your trump suit is long but lacking a run, and you have SOME meld but probably not a lot...say

TS TS KS KS KS QS QS JS AD KD QD JD AC AC QC JC AH QH JH JH

If you can start with a meld bid, you give partner one solid, sure, and useful datum.

Another issue can be choosing between showing aces and showing all the meld, but not mentioning the aces.  Now, with me, when I hear an aces bid OR a 20 meld bid, I'll read partner to have about 25 points total in support.  The aces bid shows 10 meld;  there's usually bits and pieces, so I assume 15 meld total.  4 tricks means about 10 points...so about 25.  Hearing 20 meld, I assume about 2 tricks, 5 points, in the play...so also about 25.  So if the choice is between 51 and 52 with 20-28 adjusted meld, I'd tend to say give the meld with most players.  They expect more play support...and you have it.  Ergo, it'll probably let them compete with a broader range of hands.

With 35+ adjusted meld, AND if you have at least a playable suit (a decent 6), you can plan on making 2 bids...start with the aces, then show the meld.  Even if the auction starts pass-51-60-65 by partner, your 75 doesn't show anything more than that.  Partner *freely* bid over 60.  He has reason to bid.  (We hope.  Doesn't hold true all the time.)  BUT, the side risk is whether partner will feel free to bid at all...just over an aces bid.  Show 30 meld, he can bid a fairly playable hand lacking meld.  

This last risk exists in first seat, too;  it just becomes sharper in second seat because the auction is so likely to climb high.