Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A question to MFA bidders
You open;  the auction starts

52 - 54 - 56 - 60

Your turn.  The question:  what would you consider a minimum hand to hold where you would bid 65?  Total number of expected tricks, and trump suit length and quality, are the key factors I'm asking about.  Assume it's the first deal of the game, so score is not relevant.

This matters, because it shapes the requirement for third seat to potentially bid 70.
What do you mean by Meld First Always bidder? If I don't have a hand that I think can take 7+ tricks, I'm going to meld bid, even though I may have a biddable hand that can take 5-7 tricks. Do I qualify?
I believe most MFA types will give meld unless they think they have a 31 hand.  

Plus, it shouldn't be tricks.  It's offensive orientation.  If you want to show meld with this:

AC TC TC KC QC QC JC AD KD QD JD JD AS AS QS QS AH AH QH JH

Fine.  You've got 7 tricks by any sane count, but you have no strong offensive orientation.

I believe MFA players still give meld with something like this:

AD AD TD KD KD QD JD JD AS AS TS QS QS JS AH XH XC XC XC XC  

unless they think it's a 31...which it's not.  Switch  AS to a small spade, and it STILL needs to name trump, and be on lead first.

I have had partners say, they ALWAYS!!! start with a meld bid.  How true is that?  I dunno.  But I have seen bidding like this:

53 - pass - 54 - pass
55    56
57    58
59    60

Makes you wonder, what the HECK can opener have, to override *3* confirmation bids that his pard has a hand?

Perhaps more to the point for this...both opener and responder in MFA can easily have something like

AH TH TH KH KH QH JH JH AS KS QS QS AD KD KD QD KC QC JC JC
OK, here's a case in point.  The player actually didn't give a meld bid...but apologized for not doing so, with:

AAKQQJTTT.AJ.AJTT.AKKQQ

So this might give you an idea how extreme MFA bidders can be with giving meld.  "Always" is a small exaggeration, but if this is borderline...not much of one.  Make it this:

AAKQQJTTT.QJ.AQJT.AKKQJ

and I think he'd have given meld, as he'd made a comment also about having the hanging ace.  The second hand still has a 7-trick trump suit unless the split's vile...how often will partner have something better?