Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bidding quiz...
First to act, you get:

TCTCKCKCJC JDJD TSKSKSQS AHAHAHKHKHQHJHJHJH

The only coherent options are 50, 60, and pass; 65 is unjustifiable.

What's your choice, and why?
Darnit, I'm too tired to think. Hopefully we will have electricity tomorrow so I can comment. Thanks TE, I'm excited to have a post I didn't make to respond to!
I look at this hand and think of it in two different ways:

1. If my partner wins the bid, I have 8 meld and can only pitch in 1, maybe 2 tricks with the AHAH

2. If I take the bid I will need help to save because I can't take 8/9 tricks on my own and I only have 10 meld.

If I don't know my partner well or I know my partner is a strength first bidder, I will flat pass and just play it safe.

If I know my partner is a meld first bidder, than I will bid 50 and see if there may be some significant meld I should try to save.

This is also score dependent for me. It is a risky scenario because my partner could have big meld but no trick takers, and we could end up trying to save the big meld but going set. I'm willing to take that risk early in the game and when behind. If we have a healthy lead, I will probably just play it safe and pass.
C'mon, people, chime in.
If I was dealt this beauty, I would think the following:
1. "Why does Pinochle hate me?"
2. "Yuck! No meld to announce, no sidesuit aces, and a real teaser of a long suit."

I quickly shout "Pass", place my cards face down on the table, quietly pray to hear "Pass", "Pass", "Oh well, I guess I'll just call Hearts because I only have one marriage in my hand."

That dream scenario would be nearly the only way my hand becomes enjoyable to play.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Nah. There's a much more straightforward one: you open 50, partner gives 30 or 40 meld. Smile

I *have* had the scenario you describe happen, tho...or even uglier, how about pass by you, 50, pass, 51...because RHO has a heart run. When LHO doesn't...big ouch coming. The scenario you describe is often going to mean a board set, because the opponents may well not have 20.
(11-02-2012, 11:12 AM)mickmackusa Wrote:  If I was dealt this beauty, I would think the following:
1. "Why does Pinochle hate me?"

This made me LOL.
I think that when I get dealt a triple ace 10 card suit...with no marriage....
This could get out of hand but....

I think that when as declarer I have one AG of trump and when I lead the trump QG, West lays a TG of trump which means my partner can jump in and play all his/her aces....and then the TG wins the trick.
(10-30-2012, 10:13 PM)rakbeater Wrote:  I look at this hand and think of it in two different ways:

1. If my partner wins the bid, I have 10 meld and can only pitch in 1, maybe 2 tricks with the AHAH

2. If I take the bid I will need help to save because I can't take 8/9 tricks on my own and I only have 12 meld.

If I don't know my partner well or I know my partner is a strength first bidder, I will flat pass and just play it safe.

If I know my partner is a meld first bidder, than I will bid 50 and see if there may be some significant meld I should try to save.

This is also score dependent for me. It is a risky scenario because my partner could have big meld but no trick takers, and we could end up trying to save the big meld but going set. I'm willing to take that risk early in the game and when behind. If we have a healthy lead, I will probably just play it safe and pass.
for the new players like me ,we could learn faster if when u make a statement like this
If I take the bid I will need help to save because I can't take 8/9 tricks on my own and I only have 12 meld.
you break that down, I only see 10 meld. I know this is more work ,most teacher assume we all understand. Show me once ,I will write it down , and know it. PLEASE