Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ARGH
I took a long hiatus from playing...almost no play at all in about 18 months.  For a couple reasons, I decided to get back into playing.  Oh my gosh.  RUSTY game.  Slow to count meld, not really counting the hand out or building any kind of picture.  

Well, that's largely gone, I think.  But the other issues with PlayOK...ohhh.  The player base is so bad.  That hasn't changed...or if anything it's gotten worse.  Basics...oh, oh!  Declarer started cashing 3 side aces.  He got to dummy!  Dummy cashed side aces.  Partner gets in next...AND STARTS PLAYING ACES!!!  In all suits!  AGH!  And with the 4th ace and a ten...I lead Q, it goes K, A!!! from partner.  ARGH.

But what's been driving me up the wall...I think I actually finished 1 game, out of 4, today.  The other 3 all ended because one player timed out.  PlayOK's timeout (per play) is pretty short, and the forfeit is *automatic*.  They've got a time limit for all actions;  I don't see the need to be this aggressive with each action.  And it's just not fun to end a game on a timeout.
The few games that I have played on PlayOK, I was totally paranoid about forfeiting by timeout.
It clearly disrupted my thinking/enjoyment.
What time limit were you playing T.E.?
I think most of them are 15m, but I would enjoy the game more in higher limits (20 or more).
While 15m X 4players = 1hr is sensible on average, the rule makes it the maximum and as the limit approaches, down goes skill as a product of panic.

I think the time limit structure could use some adjustment; a better balance of fair and fun.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
(05-31-2016, 12:45 AM)mickmackusa Wrote:  The few games that I have played on PlayOK, I was totally paranoid about forfeiting by timeout.
It clearly disrupted my thinking/enjoyment.
What time limit were you playing T.E.?
I think most of them are 15m, but I would enjoy the game more in higher limits (20 or more).
While 15m X 4players = 1hr is sensible on average, the rule makes it the maximum and as the limit approaches, down goes skill as a product of panic.

I think the time limit structure could use some adjustment; a better balance of fair and fun.

I played 2 games at 7 minutes.  First game, I didn't notice.  That game ended when an opp's clock ran out.  Played another, same players, same settings.  Why?  I dunno.  But the same thing happened.  And yes, 7 minutes *definitely* influences things.

I'll play 10 or 15 minutes.  15 minutes is probably my first choice;  10 is a bit tight, but it's also not bad to work on sharpening one's decision processes.  I have played 20 a few times, but honestly, 15's been plenty most of the time.

But other than the 7 minute games, the total-time clock didn't run out.  These games are ending on the action timer...players have no control over that, AFAIK.  Unless it's linked to the total time setting.  PlayOK gives maybe 60-90 seconds, and if you don't act....BOOM!  Better hope there's no knock on the door, right?  And that's what gets me.  Set a 10 minute game to keep a brisk pace of play.  Taking even 45 seconds for a single action is going to eat into that BIG time.

Plus, as we talked about earlier...games can run long.  A game last week had...3 sets?  Terrible trump break on a save bid (East got stuck, named a suit where I, South, had AAATxxx), and 2 board sets.  Something like that.  Or some tough calls.  Pass-50-60 to you is often very tough;  it won't work sometimes.  

Oh yeah, something else I didn't much like.  If my partner timed out, we lose.  Ugh.  But *I* get charged with an Abandon too.  I like noting the abandons...I don't want a partner OR opponent likely to walk off in a huff.  It's not fun.  But between the hair trigger timeout forfeit, AND marking both players, the point of marking the abandons is, at best, significantly diluted.
Adding an Abandon to a partner is unacceptable. I can't even believe someone would do that. Only the player whose turn it was to play abandoned the game. for whatever reason however legitimate or not.

My gut feeling is that a 7 minute wait is just as likely to end same as a 15 minute wait, not coming back. A break for 5 minutes let's everybody take a break. Of course like anything else it can be abused and abusers have to be avoided.
The 7 minute game is very likely to result in a clock expiring. I don't think this is called an abandon.

The fast timeout might be a player quitting the game, but it could be nothing more than signing for a delivery, or wanting to take a second to refill the coffee mug...and maybe at worst throw in some slight distraction. Or any other distraction. Marya has that "let's take a quick break" option, which can help, but may not work for the sudden distractions like a knock on the door.

Plus: just lengthen the timeout to, say, 3 minutes. That should cover most distractions, and it does run down the player's overall time clock anyway. It can only be abused so far, for that reason.
Does it bother people to play a 7-minute game of Pinochle? To me, it's not a real game (it doesn't "count") if you don't play it all the way through, according to the rules. But then again, maybe people these days don't have time for a 30 or 45-minute game.
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
(06-05-2016, 06:42 PM)marya Wrote:  Does it bother people to play a 7-minute game of Pinochle? To me, it's not a real game (it doesn't "count") if you don't play it all the way through, according to the rules. But then again, maybe people these days don't have time for a 30 or 45-minute game.

It's not a 7-minute game, start to finish. All players have a 7-minute clock, that counts down every time it's their turn to act (make a bid or play a card).
But then they play 2 or 3 in a row, marya. I don't think the time available to play is their motivation. I'm almost certainly prejudiced as all heck here, but to me, this says they want to force a no-thought game, because that's how they play. "Who needs to think? Cash your aces and play trump." That sort of player.

It may well be that they're not trying to be manipulative. Paranoid about table talk, perhaps; or just insanely impatient. Think of the driver who refuses to go with the flow of traffic, but is always passing and changing lanes and passing and changing lanes, and hanging on bumpers when they can't change lanes.
(06-05-2016, 07:00 PM)TigreLXIX Wrote:  
(06-05-2016, 06:42 PM)marya Wrote:  Does it bother people to play a 7-minute game of Pinochle? To me, it's not a real game (it doesn't "count") if you don't play it all the way through, according to the rules. But then again, maybe people these days don't have time for a 30 or 45-minute game.

It's not a 7-minute game, start to finish.  All players have a 7-minute clock, that counts down every time it's their turn to act (make a bid or play a card).

Ah! Thanks for the explanation Smile
(06-05-2016, 07:13 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  But then they play 2 or 3 in a row, marya.  I don't think the time available to play is their motivation.  I'm almost certainly prejudiced as all heck here, but to me, this says they want to force a no-thought game, because that's how they play.  "Who needs to think?  Cash your aces and play trump."  That sort of player.

It may well be that they're not trying to be manipulative.  Paranoid about table talk, perhaps;  or just insanely impatient.  Think of the driver who refuses to go with the flow of traffic, but is always passing and changing lanes and passing and changing lanes, and hanging on bumpers when they can't change lanes.

Well, I don't know. I've certainly heard that game sites have suffered from "stallers" in the past, and placing an overall limit on your play time might solve this. At World of Card Games, I've had complaints about people stalling, even with a 15-second timeout to play a card. I understand it, because when things don't move at your pace, you might forget which cards have been played.

Seven minutes total play time seems a little short to me, but what do I know.