Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Currently Accepted Bidding System
This is the best website I have found in terms of explaining the currently accepted bidding system for double deck pinochle. If you know of any other links feel free to post them.

http://lebor.net/advanced-pinochle-bidding-and-strategy
(07-02-2012, 10:52 PM)rakbeater Wrote:  This is the best website I have found in terms of explaining the currently accepted bidding system for double deck pinochle. If you know of any other links feel free to post them.

I agree. It's the best I've found also. I've seen some really nice sites for single deck, but I really prefer doubledeck so I don't pay any attention to them.

(07-02-2012, 10:52 PM)rakbeater Wrote:  This is the best website I have found in terms of explaining the currently accepted bidding system for double deck pinochle. If you know of any other links feel free to post them.

Thanks for the link and the support! I first put it together as a reference for teaching my friends how to play (I learned from my parents who learned in the Navy). Glad it is useful for other people too.

Chad
http://www.doubledeck.com/rules.htm

This one is pretty good too.
Perhaps not a good way to make an initial impression, but...if you think that either web page presents a bidding system...you're completely wrong.

doubledeck's page is, at best, a very vague, general, touchy-feely "this kind of bid sort of means something like this". This is WORSE than nothing, IMO. OK, some of the points are valid, but overall the level is pathetic.

lebor's site has a mix of extremely basic bidding structure, with IMO a totally illegal action [this point: A single digit bid of N (i.e., ‘three’) is a bid of fifty-N (‘three’ in this example) means you have aces around. This can be in conjunction with the above skip bids (‘three’ following a 51 bid would be approximately 20 meld with aces around) is impossible online, and in formal live games is illegal because it is not a legal bid; the 'bye me' is similar] and a flat-out wrong statement (meld bids stop at 60).

But these both completely fail to be a system. They're a disconnected set of interpretive statements...but that is not a system. What are the requirements for bidding 50 in first seat? What are the requirements for bidding 60 in first seat? This is *critical* for intelligent bidding, and therefore a proper bidding system.
(07-20-2012, 05:36 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  Perhaps not a good way to make an initial impression, but...if you think that either web page presents a bidding system...you're completely wrong.

doubledeck's page is, at best, a very vague, general, touchy-feely "this kind of bid sort of means something like this". This is WORSE than nothing, IMO. OK, some of the points are valid, but overall the level is pathetic.

lebor's site has a mix of extremely basic bidding structure, with IMO a totally illegal action [this point: A single digit bid of N (i.e., ‘three’) is a bid of fifty-N (‘three’ in this example) means you have aces around. This can be in conjunction with the above skip bids (‘three’ following a 51 bid would be approximately 20 meld with aces around) is impossible online, and in formal live games is illegal because it is not a legal bid; the 'bye me' is similar] and a flat-out wrong statement (meld bids stop at 60).

But these both completely fail to be a system. They're a disconnected set of interpretive statements...but that is not a system. What are the requirements for bidding 50 in first seat? What are the requirements for bidding 60 in first seat? This is *critical* for intelligent bidding, and therefore a proper bidding system.

I would love to have exactly what you are describing - here on this site. I would also love to have a bidding discussion so please reply to my private message or we can discuss it here for everyone to see and join in. I'm heading to work, so if someone wants to start a new thread here to start building the "official" currently accepted bidding system, that would be great.

(07-21-2012, 09:35 AM)rakbeater Wrote:  I would love to have exactly what you are describing - here on this site. I would also love to have a bidding discussion so please reply to my private message or we can discuss it here for everyone to see and join in. I'm heading to work, so if someone wants to start a new thread here to start building the "official" currently accepted bidding system, that would be great.

It'll never be official. Smile

I've got...volumes...written over on the Yahoo pinochle boards now, in the Pinochle Bidding Examples thread. Problem is, Yahoo's board search functionality is pretty damn awful. Just as a brief outline, the subjects involved:

--strength first, or meld first always? Me, I hate meld first always, so the rest of the points assume strength first.
--first action: ask for meld or give meld? That is, what do you need to make the strength bid and ask partner to give meld?
--save bids: what's the minimum trump suit?
--meld bids with no marriage
--CAPTAINCY!
--3rd seat bidding (that is, the auction starts pass-pass to you, also pass-50 to you)
--bidding in jammed auctions
--bidding 51
--counting 'effective meld'
--expectations: if your partner passes in first seat, how much support can you reasonably expect from him? Also, if partner gives you a meld bid (but NOT an aces or dbl aces bid), how many tricks should you expect him to provide?
--hand evaluation: how good is your hand, really? How many tricks can you reasonably expect to take?
--hand types: balanced, semi-balanced, 1 suiter, 2 suiter, 3 suiter

Can you copy/paste some links or can we start by breaking down some of these points you have in your post? Some of these things are covered in detail in my book, and some of the answers to these questions are the basis for The Brick Bidding System.

Power Pinochle (the website obv.) is winning Pinochle. Not sitting back and waiting for "luck" or the "perfect" dealt hand. My bidding system emphasizes strength first and trick counting/hand evaluation. The first few chapters of my book will be posted online, on this website, as a teaser before the book is released and in those chapters will include a detailed explanation of trick counting/hand evaluation as well as the Shutdown Theory. I've been thinking about these things for years and I am very interested in conversation of the above bullet points.

Uh...it's not 1 post...more like dozens. There's over 700 posts in the thread, and rather a lot of them are mine, both in covering many of these points, and in several quizzes. Can't remember if I put the trick-counting/hand evaluation posts there, or in a thread that's now long gone...
(07-24-2012, 03:43 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  Uh...it's not 1 post...more like dozens. There's over 700 posts in the thread, and rather a lot of them are mine, both in covering many of these points, and in several quizzes. Can't remember if I put the trick-counting/hand evaluation posts there, or in a thread that's now long gone...

Are the yahoo pinochle forums good? I found some old ones that didn't seem very active...can you post the link for the forums that you frequent?