Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you like to see in a Pinochle Playing Site?
(10-17-2014, 06:33 PM)rakbeater Wrote:  Bathroom breaks?  Bah, that is what laptops are for.  Smile  I remember the day before poker sites had every tournament break at the same time every hour.  When you were multi-tabling, you had to have a laptop.....or a bed pan if you didn't want to miss a hand. (especially deepin the tournament when big money was at stake) lol

In fact, I added the "Pause" button to private tables specifically because someone told me that they really needed a bathroom break now and then! I've had a few players request it for public tables but I just know it would work too rarely to be worth adding it. Many public table players are simply too impatient and would override the pause button.
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
(10-16-2014, 01:36 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  PlayOK's approach, tho, is a good lesson:  consider the implications of any policy you want to put into place on your site.  Yahoo can be excused simply because those games go back a LONG ways, and perhaps the amount of external guidance for setting those policies was minimal.

This is a good point. I always try very hard to consider the impact of any changes that I make. Is it easier for people to cheat if I add feature X? Will some minority of players have more trouble playing if I add Y? In the end, you make trade-offs.

It's not easy. I put a lot of thought into everything I do, but even so, I rely on users to help me out by telling me when things go wrong. I still think many players will just get frustrated and leave, without giving the developer a chance to fix things, which is too bad.
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
(07-16-2014, 11:12 AM)rakbeater Wrote:  Just for fun, because I'm not flush with extra money to actually follow through with this at this point in my life, but what would you like to see a in an online system/program/game?

Take the best, eliminate the worst, and add your own suggestions as to what would be your ultimate online multi-player pinochle playing system.

Mick's post got me thinking about it:  http://www.powerpinochle.com/forum/showt...hp?tid=726

I would like to see a system where there is a section of tables for "speed" pinochle" (for all those non-thinkers who just want to click constantly) and then tables for those who actually need a little time to think for newbies or experienced, analytical players.  I would also want the rating, games played, won/lost, games timed out/quit, and the key stat I would want would be: average time to make a bid and average time to lay a card.  I would only want kibitzing to happen on "training" or "social" tables.  I want the graphics simple but clean.  Other thoughts?
I agree with rakbeater in that a seperate site be established for the "speed" players. Others should have a site that "thinkers" can take longer to ponder their play. Sincerely, eodlance@sbcglobal.net
Hm.

For a speed-play game...how about a fairly short per-action timeout, and if you do time out, a bot makes this play for you. The timeout here might be 15 seconds.

For analytic play, the timeout is longer, and you have a time bank (as I think I've outlined earlier) that you can use. THEN the bot kicks in, or if the time bank is big, maybe a forfeit.