Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What would you like to see in a Pinochle Playing Site?
See a new way people have found to exploit the rules that are meant to discourage cheating and stalling here.

I'm wondering how this can be prevented, so I thought I'd cross-reference it here.  One idea I had would be that, if someone had a "table timeout" (meaning they were still on the table but their countdown timer expired), the result could be based on the score when it happens.  For example, if the other partnership has a negative score or if the point spread is more than 250 (just an idea...I don't know what a reasonable number would be), the forfeit would go to the partnership that did not timeout.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea or any other ideas to combat this?
(10-14-2014, 02:30 PM)TigreLXIX Wrote:  See a new way people have found to exploit the rules that are meant to discourage cheating and stalling here.

I'm wondering how this can be prevented, so I thought I'd cross-reference it here.  One idea I had would be that, if someone had a "table timeout" (meaning they were still on the table but their countdown timer expired), the result could be based on the score when it happens.  For example, if the other partnership has a negative score or if the point spread is more than 250 (just an idea...I don't know what a reasonable number would be), the forfeit would go to the partnership that did not timeout.

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea or any other ideas to combat this?

This would simply not work.
If I was evil, whenever my team was winning by 250 or the opposition was in the red, I could just let my timer run out and VICTORY! No need to spend the time to play to 500.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Good point. I didn't really give it much thought before posting, because I was a little upset about what had just happened.

Any other ideas?
The forfeit should ALWAYS only impact the person who timed out...it was their fault, and no one else's.

Tigre...I hear ya, I've had it happen a couple times and it is annoying.
(10-15-2014, 03:17 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote:  The forfeit should ALWAYS only impact the person who timed out...it was their fault, and no one else's.  

I agree.  That is part of what I don't like about PlayOK's forfeit rules.
Yes, and I'll extend it to their overall time-out policy. Better not have to answer the door (say, for a delivery, or answering a call of nature)...there's something like a 1 minute idle time-out, after which the site forfeits you...AND your partner. Come on. Yahoo's policy was poor, to be sure, but still, forfeiting the partner is totally unjustifiable, and forfeiting the offender on this is ludicrous. You have a tight time-out policy anyway...let that handle things. Or let the players at the table decide. Just type a BRB if you need to step away; most players will acknowledge this and ignore it. AND, the player's clock is counting down in any event.

PlayOK's approach, tho, is a good lesson: consider the implications of any policy you want to put into place on your site. Yahoo can be excused simply because those games go back a LONG ways, and perhaps the amount of external guidance for setting those policies was minimal.
Bathroom breaks? Bah, that is what laptops are for. Smile I remember the day before poker sites had every tournament break at the same time every hour. When you were multi-tabling, you had to have a laptop.....or a bed pan if you didn't want to miss a hand. (especially deepin the tournament when big money was at stake) lol
It's feasible to take a break at times, in a big tournament...bit harder in a sit n go. But given a decent stack size, when you're in the small blind and have total, auto-fold junk, you'll have time for a quick break. And even if you lose a couple hands' worth of antes...no big deal. It won't cost you the event.

Multi-tabling, of course...yes. But if you're gonna do that, you prepare.
Since WoCG is being developed, I thought it would be good to bring this thread back for discussion.
I read the original comment and my feeling  is that you should not be looking at private messages while playing a game. I know people get distracted by all manner of things, but this seems more a matter of self-discipline than anything else. Be distracted by fire alarms, or your boss stopping by your desk... not by PMs.

At World of Card Games, 1) there are no private messages (yet - it's on my to-do list) and 2) there is no time limit to games. However, there is a time limit to how long you can spend when it's your turn, before you are forced to play a card. And if you miss 5 turns, you'll get kicked from the game. You'd have to be timing out pretty severely for something like this to occur, in which case you deserve to accrue a loss. I'm not sure why people miss so many turns, but life happens...
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!