Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Thought Process With A New Hand
As always, feedback is requested.

When you get a new hand after the previous hand is finished being played, or when the first hand of the game has started, what is the logical progression of thought, or what, in your opinion, should it be?

Whatever this progression is, this is how new players should be taught to think. Keep it at a basic framework that, once practices and mastered, can be built upon.

Use this as a start or not:

1. Find a biddable trump suit (if there is one) and count tricks as declarer.

2. Check for Aces around if opening.

3. Count meld, if aiming to take the bid, count meld as declarer

4. If aiming to take the bid, determine your bidding limits

Looking forward to the discussion.
"2. Check for Aces around if opening."
Do you mean something like "Check for Aces around if not bidding 50"?

Do we need a name for opening the bidding "50"? This is almost a 2 Club bid in Bridge where Partner MUST bid to describe his hand. (often 2 Diamonds, "I have nothing") Opener has promised a biddable suit and WILL bid again. Partner can safely show meld without a marriage.

In contrast, Opener's other bids; 59, 51, 52...57,58; are not in Bridge parlance "Forcing".

So Opener has two classes of opening bis, "50" or meld.
Thus
"When opening the bidding with 50"
vs
"When opening the bidding by showing meld"

-----------------------------------
How I imagine I handle a new hand:
(If someone has already complained about my slow bidding, there is a regrettable urge to rush. If I have a run, 7-6, and 8+ tricks I'll open 50 as a courtesy and get an exact count while they bid.)

1 Count non-adjusted meld as Partner

2 If I have a biddable trump suit, get meld as Opener (+13 with a run)
2a count tricks, add trick points to Opener meld
2b if 35-7-6, plan on bidding 50

3 Not opening 50: no trump suit, less than 35 points (meld and winners), or less than 6 winners
(I may forget that a 50 bid requires 6 tricks.)
3a get Adjusted Meld as Partner
3b Double Aces Around? bid 59
3c1 Aces Around? bid 51 with less than 19 Adjusted meld
3c2 Aces Around? (There's a thread on bidding 51 vs 52+)
3d Meld bid or Pass

4 Second seat Save? (There's a thread for that too)
Rick Hall
(05-27-2013, 11:50 PM)richardpaulhall Wrote:  "2. Check for Aces around if opening."
Do you mean something like "Check for Aces around if not bidding 50"?

I mean if you are opening and have aces around, then you bid 51 to show aces around. The only time you can bid this is if you are first to bid, and I have found that beginners often miss this.
What I meant was I am checking my hand for a 50 bid. If I have a hand that does not qualify for 50 then I think about meld, recheck for Aces around to see if I can bid 51.
Rick Hall
In first seat...

1. Do I have a meld-ask hand at all? FIRST: do meet the trump suit requirement? I put this first because if it fails, we get to throw out 50 very quickly.

1a. Do then meet 35-7-6 or not?
1b. If so, what's my offensive trick/support trick counts? One learns to do this fairly quickly. If I'm heavily offensive, I don't care about my meld...bid 50. If I'm not...check my meld, then decide whether to ask or show.

This last isn't simple. The meld I have, matters...30's much better than 20 to start with a meld-ask...you're much more likely to be able to show the meld with your second bid.

The first-seat opening bid of 50 doesn't need a name on its own. It's a meld-ask bid...but so are others that are all fundamentally similar.

Insofar as forcing...the only bid I consider forcing on partner, is 59. Partner cannot pass with ANY marriage, which is what forcing means here. If I open 51, partner CAN pass if he doesn't have a save-quality suit. When partner makes a meld-ask, he's pretty much forcing himself...35-7-6 says, if partner gives meld, he can't pass below 40 higher than the meld shown. (He says he has 35, partner takes 2 tricks for 5 more...that's the 40, plus partner's meld.)

But a meld-ask is nothing like a strong 2 club bid. 35-7-6 isn't a great hand; in bridge terms, it's showing nothing more than bidding 1 heart or 1 spade. Partner can, and often enough will, have something better. A 2 club bid says, "this hand is OURS, or we double them for penalty"; a meld ask doesn't. I play that opening 60 is the rough equivalent of a 2 club bid.