Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meld Test
The Power Pinochle Meld Test is a weighted, time challenge invented to be a fun way to test your meld counting skills.
This game is for logged in Power Pinochle members only. Registration is free, so simply create an account and have a try.

Goal: Perfectly count the meld of 10 randomly generated hands in under 5 minutes.
Statistics: Seconds Elapsed is measured from click of the Start button to the click of the Finish button and is recorded to 14 decimal places. Test Weight* is the measure of how many total meld units (marriages, pinochles, arounds, runs) need to be found.
Scoring: round_to_nearest_integer( ( 300 - "Seconds Elapsed" ) x 10,000 x "Test Weight" )

Upon completion of the Meld Test, the member will see:
1. the correct meld counts for each hand.
2. their accuracy, time (if accuracy is perfect), and score (if time is less than 300)
3. a notification if any personal or site high scores have been surpassed.

*Test Weight is "compensated" 3 additional points for each roundhouse when the selected scorechart designates a point value for roundhouses (currently only NPAPinochle.org). This is done so that no chart has an unfair advantage/disadvantage regarding speed and scoring. 
For example, if there is only 1 roundhouse in a 10-hand game:
- NPAPinochle.org chart will score 4 points (roundhouse[1] + compensation[3]).
- All other charts will score 6 points (trump marriage[1] + three non-trump marriages[3] + kings around[1] + queens around[1]).
The ease of counting designated roundhouses (automatic 24 points) becomes clear when additionally calculating runs, multiple kings around, or multiple queens around; all of which share cards with the roundhouse.

Leaderboards & Personal History: 
Don't worry about your imperfect games, or how many times you play.  The quantity and quality of your games will not be made public.
1. High Score Leaderboard: your best scoring game (weighted) is publicly listed against all other users' best scoring games.
2. Lowest Time Leaderboard: irrespective of the game weight, your fastest time is publicly listed against all other users' fastest games.
3. Personal History: a private list of all of your Meld Test records are only viewable by the user logged in.

This application can be very irritating; stay calm and replay, you will find success.
... or if you don't, maybe practice at the Meld Training page  Smile

<-- (Meld Test Sample Image)

Let me know if you have questions, advice, or suggestions.

Best of luck!
mickmackusa
Power Pinochle Web Support & Development
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
It is an addictive game. You will find that you are not as good at counting meld quickly as your think you are. It is a great training tool as well.
Training? Is there an event where we have a bidding clock? It gives me a little reason to be comfortable if I bid slowly but not much else.
Rick Hall
(05-01-2013, 07:21 PM)richardpaulhall Wrote:  Training? Is there an event where we have a bidding clock? It gives me a little reason to be comfortable if I bid slowly but not much else.

Events? Yes, they are called Yahoo Pinochle Lounges.
Some tables in the Lounges provide 3 different "Bidding Clocks" -- LHO, Partner, & RHO.

When you don't beat the Power Pinochle Meld Counting Clock, it encourages you to keep trying.

When you don't beat a Yahoo Pinochle Lounge Bidding Clock, it informs you that you should stop trying ...and that your mother has an unfortunate odor ...and clicks the Force Forfeit button.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Belleeeeebutton has stepped it up and continues to step it up @ the Meld Test.
I fear I am next to be hunted.
RichardPaulHall, time to get stuck back into it.
I'll have to get back in the saddle again too.

Game On!
PP
I'm still the best. Smile
What a blitz of the Meld Test, EasyT!
It goes to show persistence pays off.
We hope to hear from you in the forums in the near future.
Nice work!
(04-28-2013, 10:49 AM)mickmackusa Wrote:  I know I am long overdue to deliver an explanation on the Meld Test, and I must apologize as I still don't have the time to explain its finer points.

I just want to mention that I have just created a more comprehensive Leaderboard @ the Meld Test page. It now presents the Username, TopScore, and details about the Username's TopScore.

Have a bit of fun with it. Don't worry about looking like a fool, as the Leaderboard doesn't show how many times you try (and fail to accurately score the hands in under 5 minutes).

Let me know if you have questions, advice, or suggestions.
I'll try to give a full game explanation sometime in the coming week.

Best of luck!

EDIT:

This game is for logged in Power Pinochle members only. Users not logged in will be redirected to a Power Pinochle registration page.

Goal: Perfectly count the meld of 10 randomly generated hands in under 5 minutes.
Statistics: Seconds Elapsed is measured from click of the Start button to the click of the Finish button and is recorded to 14 decimal places. Test Weight* is the measure of how many total meld units (marriages, pinochles, arounds, runs) need to be found.
Scoring: round_to_nearest_integer( ( 300 - "Seconds Elapsed" ) x 10,000 x "Test Weight" )

Upon completion of the Meld Test, the member will see:
1. the correct meld counts for each hand.
2. their accuracy, time (if accuracy is perfect), and score (if time is less than 300)
3. a notification if any personal or site high scores have been surpassed.

*Test Weight is "compensated" 3 additional points for each roundhouse when the selected scorechart designates a point value for roundhouses (currently only NPAPinochle.org). This is done so that no chart has an unfair advantage/disadvantage regarding speed and scoring. Given there is only 1 roundhouse in a 10-hand game:
- NPAPinochle.org chart will score 4 points (roundhouse[1] + compensation[3]).
- All other charts will score 6 points (trump marriage[1] + three non-trump marriages[3] + kings around[1] + queens around[1]).
The ease of counting designated roundhouses (automatic 24 points) becomes clear when additionally calculating runs, multiple kings around, or multiple queens around; all of which share cards with the roundhouse.

Leaderboard: Currently the list is ordered by highest High Score, then by lowest Seconds Elapsed, then by most recent last_forum_visit of members that have at least 1 post. When there are enough scores recorded, the list will likely be shortened to the top 5 or 10 High Scores. The list only acknowledges a member's highest score and does not display the number of games played. This way there is no shame in trying over and over to reach a certain score.

This stopped working for me, then contact with the web person, stated working , now not working again??
I really like this as a way to practice as I am a bit slow seeing and adding everything up
I'm sorry you are having problems, but stay in contact with the Mick through email and he will help you through it.
(08-18-2014, 07:51 AM)mary Wrote:  This stopped working for me, then contact with the web person, stated working , now not working again??
I really like this as a way to practice as I am a bit slow seeing and adding everything up

To clear up some confusion, you can access the Meld Test program by clicking or hovering over the Basics Tab in the black&grey striped navigation menu. Then click "Meld Test" on the drop list.
Alternatively, you can go directly to: http://www.powerpinochle.com/forum/meldtest.php

"Search" on the right side of the navigation menu will only search within the Forum and not within "Home", "Basics", "Resources", "Store".

Finally, do not try to type into my screenshot at the top of this thread, you will find the fields most unresponsive.

The Meld Test is in perfect working order.

Enjoy.