Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Telling the Full Story
Many hands have 1 message to say..."I have aces" or "I've got 20"...and they're done once they've managed that. They'll pass from then on. Other hands might have more than one thing to say. They can't say "p, I've got aces" AND "p, I've got 30 meld" at the same time; the 30 meld bid doesn't show the aces, and the aces bid doesn't show the meld. In another case, perhaps they have a fairly good playing hand, and meld. Can't show both in one bid.

The solution? Bid more than once, of course. So how do you show the various combinations? Will finish this later, but the first big point is this: the FIRST bid you make, is determined by the aspect you want to emphasize the most.
Any problems with me putting this on the Home page?
Nope.
So, there aren't that many variations.

1. Start with a meld ask, then give meld.
(50 (you) - pass - 51 - pass - 53; 50-51-52-55-57; etc)
To make the meld-ask, you've got at least 6 tricks in hand, a 7 card trump suit, and 35 total points. When you follow up by giving the meld, you still have all that; you're saying "ok p, my hand would play decently but it's nothing special." Could be something like

ASASTSKSKSQSJSADADQDJDTCTCKCKCQCJCAHQHJH

Perfectly good hand...but will give solid support too.

2. Start with a save, then give meld.
(pass-50 (you)-51-52-54; pass-50-pass-51-53; pass-50-pass-52-54)
As I've posted, the save bid is the least informative bid in the game. So, you chose to use it when the option of giving meld was available...THEN gave meld.

The hand for this sequence is roughly the same as for the first sequence...except for its overall trick-taking strength. Take the example hand above, and convert 3 of the aces to lower cards (but leave the run intact). Now you have a 5 trick hand...by my lights, NOT enough to ask for meld. But in save seat, you don't have much choice.

3a) Give meld, hear meld, re-meld
(52 (you) - pass - 54 - pass - 56)
Seem nonsensical, or that you're telling the same story twice? Not quite. When I have this kind of bid available, I'm trying to tell partner, I *can* take it but my trump suit would be marginal. See next for contrast.

3b) Give meld, hear meld, accept meld
(52 (you) - pass - 54 - pass - 55)
*IF* we have the room to do this, then here my 2nd bid says I'm comfortable enough playing it; don't stretch to bid any more. My trump suit might easily be AAKKQJJ.

4) checkback
See other thread\

5) give aces, then give meld
(51 (you) - pass - 52 - pass - 54, etc)
Obviously, this shows the aces AND the meld. Note here: DON'T count all your aces for effective meld, when you bid like this. You already showed them with the aces bid. So the first 4...maybe first 3...don't count for effective meld.

Also: in order for you to make 2 bids like this, you MUST have a save-level trump suit...at least 6 cards, at least 2 tops (AG or TG). Why? Partner might've been just saving before, and might not want to be in the hand. His 52 didn't say anything. IMO it simply makes sense that if you're bidding twice, he can pass when he's weak. Here's a very good example:

You: 51
LHO: pass
P: 52
RHO: 53 (mistake...he should bid higher or pass, but it happens)
You: 55

Partner has to be able to pass with junk, OR give meld (QUIZ QUESTION: what case would this be?), or bid 56 to say, thanks p, I'll take it from here.

What do you do with no viable trump suit?

With no more than 18 meld, give the aces. Remember: an aces bid usually has some extra meld; count it for 15 meld total if you don't hear about more. 18 is only 3 more, so you're darn near spot on. If you give 20, partner won't know you have any support. You pass next turn.

With any more meld, use effective meld and give the meld...especially when you're giving 30 or more. Big meld will let partner take the bid more often.