Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Opinion Needed Questions
Please take the time to respond to these pinochle bidding questions:

Player A opens the bidding with 50 and the next player bids 60 or 65.

What does the 60/65 mean to you?

What type of hand and/or meld must a player have to do this?

What is this the name of this type of bid? (shutout bid, jump bid?)

All opinions are valued. Thanks!
Actually, these auctions are the same:
50-60
pass-60

The conditions are the same. Your partner has not had a chance to bid, and any bid by an opponent hasn't given much useful information.

As far as terminology, it's not a 'jump bid' because using it that way would overload the term. I prefer to call this a preemptive bid, because it blocks your partner too. Contrast these auctions:

Group 1:
50-60

Group 2:
pass-50-60
50-pass-51-60
52-53-65

Group 1 is the preempts.

The group 2 sequence are what I'd prefer to call shutout bids. Your partner's out of the picture (assuming strength-first bidding in the last sequence); the opponents haven't given ANY meld, so your bid is designed to prevent them from doing so. The requirements are actually a bit different for each sequence, but they're generally a lot closer to each other. The requirements for a pre-empt are QUITE different.

Group 3:
52-54-65

This is a limit bid; in most cases, you're bidding as high as you think you can make most of the time, before your opponent can bid at this level. At times, though, your real limit might be 75, and this is now really a tactical bid.
I've been asking "reds" on yahoo these questions and trying to get them to take the time to post an answer here, but the answers have ranged from:

"It means I really want the bid" to "it is just as high as I can go."

Others have been a little more specific:

"It means I want the bid and have meld to make it".

I was expecting more depth in the answers, but I've only asked about 10-12 players thus far. I'm going to keep asking other players as I'm playing to get a larger sample size.
Yahoo ratings mean very little...and this, from someone with a 3000+ rating, and have been 3500. MOST players have no definition in their game.
I'm definitely trying to find out what MOST players think as we put together a "basic bidding" page for beginners and the "average" player.

I agree with everything in the above post except for:

"Actually, these auctions are the same:
50-60
pass-60"

The Pass-60 should never happen imo. There is no worry that your opponent will pass meld after his/her partner just passed to open up the bidding. I know people will say that it sends a clearer message than a 50 which is ambiguous but why limit your ability to communicate with your partner?
60 is a "shutout" bid after a 50 bid.. It stops a normal meld bid fron the 50 bid partner.. Only a jump bid will suffice and 60 usually means a max bid.. 65 after a 50 means you have a strong hand with meld AND power but 65 isnt your max... Jim
(08-08-2012, 07:26 AM)vettester90 Wrote:  60 is a "shutout" bid after a 50 bid.. It stops a normal meld bid fron the 50 bid partner.. Only a jump bid will suffice and 60 usually means a max bid.. 65 after a 50 means you have a strong hand with meld AND power but 65 isnt your max... Jim

Thanks Jim and welcome to the forums!

Thank you... Is there a Pinochle Place somewhat like the Yahoo set up without all the bots and viruses???
(08-08-2012, 08:11 AM)rakbeater Wrote:  
(08-08-2012, 07:26 AM)vettester90 Wrote:  60 is a "shutout" bid after a 50 bid.. It stops a normal meld bid fron the 50 bid partner.. Only a jump bid will suffice and 60 usually means a max bid.. 65 after a 50 means you have a strong hand with meld AND power but 65 isnt your max... Jim

Thanks Jim and welcome to the forums!
There is no place that is free of all that junk that I know of. Yahoo seems to be the best we have right now as far as a good player pool.
It is a Jump bid meant to scare the other players into passing. to have 60 you need a run, hopefully lots of aces aces round, kings around ability to short suit and your partner hopefully has at least 10 of meld as well.