Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Glossary Editing Thread
Please add:

Exit - Player leads an assumed loser.

...if anyone would like to offer a better definition, please offer it.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Can we discuss unique terms for all possible outcomes for Offense and Defense at the conclusion of a hand?

We currently have:

Offense:
  • No Trump
  • No Board
  • Set
  • Saved (I wish their was a different term that literally indicates a "satisfying" of the Contract.)
but Defense doesn't get much attention, though it may be useful to acknowledge for statistics.

What do we call it when Defense saves in the Play round?
  • Saved is accurate (but I would like to see a unique term for quick querying).
    Saved, in my opinion, suits Defense better than Offense.  But I fear the Offensive term is too well established.
What do we call it when Defense doesn't save in the Play round?
  • "Set" doesn't feel accurate (and I want to avoid term overlap).
  • Stopped
  • Frozen
  • Denied
  • Zeroed
  • Blanked
  • Blocked
  • etc....
Some times I feel extra bold and want to change tradition with fresh ideas.  So if anyone has any bright ideas on a new group of terms for team outcomes please share.
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
Could someone add "take bid" to the glossary? It is used often enough ... Here's a reference thread for the usage: http://www.powerpinochle.com/forum/showt...466&page=2
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
(04-02-2016, 07:44 PM)marya Wrote:  Could someone add "take bid" to the glossary? It is used often enough ... Here's a reference thread for the usage: http://www.powerpinochle.com/forum/showt...466&page=2

After minimal polling, "Take Bid" is not favored despite its occasional use in the forum.
I agree that it should be mentioned in the Glossary, but not as a primary reference term.
I think a Captaincy or Control Bid should be the primary term, and all other aliases should be directed to it.
Thoughts?

See the poll.
My college friends would have laughed me off the table if I said Captaincy. We said take the bid or win the bid. I'm not sure why it would be more complicated than that but Bridge people are that way too. I remember Goren on Bridge when I was growing up. Didn't understand any of it but definitely a different lingo.
(04-03-2016, 02:30 AM)rdwrites Wrote:  My college friends would have laughed me off the table if I said Captaincy.

Fair enough.  I could probably say the same of my old homegames, but we weren't operating on a highly academic level in my teens and twenties -- it was purely social.  That was an environment that I take responsibility for creating, the card culture, rules, lingo were mostly established by me (transferred to me by my family).  I'm sure "Take Bid" was a term that was said in our games, but that doesn't make it best for our current purposes.

Now that we, at Power Pinochle, are going global/classy/analytical/professional-ish, I want to establish the best terms and practices because people will be innocently absorbing our content as "true".  This is why progress is slow, because of the importance of quality.
Oh! I'm relativley new to pinochle. I find the forums here heavy with jargon, and it is deep wading to understand a lot of what is said. When I come across an unfamiliar term, I look to the glossary to help me.

I am not looking for the glossary to tell me whether a term is officially used. I am looking for it to help me translate jargon-heavy comments.

According to Google, "take bid" is used 5 times in the forums. That is not a lot, but I am not the first person to ask what a "take bid" is. The instant I saw someone use the unfamiliar term "take bid", I went to the glossary, and it was not there. I was lucky to find the meaning later in the thread. As a general rule, though, jargon terms are not explained in the threads, and I'm left scratching my head.

How about creating a new page called "Jargon"? This would just be used to help people translate the forum posts. It would be useful to me, at least. Or, better, you could add official and unofficial terms to your glossary, and denote the jargon terms as such.
Play Pinochle at World of Card Games!
That would be my fault. I'm relatively new here and use terminology we used playing the game and it was somewhat physically descriptive. We "took" tricks by reaching down and picking up the cards. Smile Taking the bid carried over from taking tricks. And on and on with jargon.

I use the jargon in my game rules and quite frankly it's the only way I know how to talk about the game. I've enjoyed answering some good questions from you marya but in doing so introduced jargon that the site here shouldn't have to define. I restate much of my jargon in plain English but "take the bid" slipped past my jargon hinky meter.

I'll use less jargon. If people have to look up terms to understand my posts then it's not helpful to the intended audience and we certainly don't need to add work to all the work already being done here. Thanks for pointing that out, marya.