Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Official Glossary Editing Thread
It's not any different than Meld.

Meld = the points in a hand

Melding/Meld Bidding= communicating your Meld through a bid

One is a noun the other is a verb.

Adjusted Meld = points in a hand plus aces

Adjusted Melding/AM Bidding = communicating your AM through a bid.

Perhaps any term regarding the specifics of a bidding system shouldn't be in the glossary? I noticed that I don't have Meld Bid in the glossary and I believe it was because people define what a meld bid is in different ways. There has to be a generic way to explain it though without confusing people who use different systems. We are just talking this out. Obviously, we (in this thread) understand the meanings, but we want to make sure it isn't confusing to others. This is not an attack on anyone, discussion and diversity of views and input are a good thing. I'm not married to one definition or two, or any wording on anything. I just want it to be as clear and logical as possible for a newbie learning the game, because I doubt an experienced expert is going to be spending much time in the glossary section of the site.
Adjusted meld is purely a counting mechanism. It might be worth noting that adjusted meld ONLY applies when you're considering giving meld to partner...it doesn't apply (at least directly) when you're asking for meld, or bidding to become declarer.

I think you can define meld bid: a bid telling partner you have a certain range of meld in your hand. ("Melding" is actually defined; it's the stage where you show the cards that make up your meld.) This lets you make the statement such as "this is a meld bid" and that statement is meaningful. The ambiguity is that not all players will agree that a particular bid was indeed a meld bid, in a set situation. Note that the jump bids you have in the glossary, are defined as meld bids.
I will be working on this again. It's been a busy couple of weeks. Learned I am losing my job of 16 years and have been scrambling with that kind of fun stuff. Also, one of our volunteer site programmers lost a close family member recently so he has not been around either. Don't think we have forgotten about the working on the site, but for some reason other life things seem to be more important than pinochle...I don't get it. Smile
Although I know what these terms mean, some newer players may not ...and that is who the Glossary truly benefits.

1. Side a.k.a. Non-Trump

2. Double Ruffing

3. Dummy

4. North, East, South, West, Seat1, Seat2, Seat3, Seat4
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
This is my to-do list. If I missed something in the previous posts or you have another addition, just post it here and I will update my list here.

ADD:

Ruff: same as cut
Overruff: a 2nd player has to ruff the card led, and does so with a higher card than the first
Force: 1. to play a suit an opponent must ruff. 2. To play a card to force a higher card.
Uppercut: when 2 consecutive players are forced. The first is being uppercut: he has to ruff high or risk being overruffed. His trump suit quality in either case is eroded very quickly.
Duck: Not win a trick when you could.
Dummy: declarer's partner.
Dealer: the person who dealt the cards, and is therefore the player in the dump position (see dump)
1st seat: first to act. During bidding, this is the player on dealer's left. During play, it's declarer.
2nd seat: second to act. During bidding, this is dealer's partner. Also known as Saver, when 1st seat passes. During play, declarer's LHO.
4th seat: last to act. During play, declarer's RHO.
3rd seat: during bidding, the player to the right of the dealer. Important because 3rd seat bidding is often greatly different from any other seat.
North, East, South, West
Side a.k.a. Non-Trump
Double Ruffing
Dummy
Adjusted meld:
Your meld score + your aces count. Used when giving meld to partner. Therefore, 16 meld and no aces does not have enough to give 20 meld; 16 meld and 4 aces does. Applies on all meld-count-showing bids; 44 with 6 aces is worth announcing 50 meld.

REVISIT/ADJUST:

Save, and Save Bid. For annotational purposes, I'd suggest Save (hand play) and Save (bidding)
Jump Bid, Double Jump Bid
Jump Bid: any bid 2 steps or more over the previous bid.
Adjusted meld is purely a counting mechanism. It might be worth noting that adjusted meld ONLY applies when you're considering giving meld to partner...it doesn't apply (at least directly) when you're asking for meld, or bidding to become declarer.

I think you can define meld bid: a bid telling partner you have a certain range of meld in your hand. ("Melding" is actually defined; it's the stage where you show the cards that make up your meld.) This lets you make the statement such as "this is a meld bid" and that statement is meaningful. The ambiguity is that not all players will agree that a particular bid was indeed a meld bid, in a set situation. Note that the jump bids you have in the glossary, are defined as meld bids.
(03-14-2013, 11:51 PM)rakbeater Wrote:  2nd seat: second to act. During bidding, this is dealer's partner. Also known as Saver, when 1st seat passes. During play, declarer's LHO.

North, East, South, West

It may be worth relating all aliases, and explaining acronyms.

During Bidding:
1st Seat = West = the player on the left of the Dealer, first player to bid
2nd Seat = North = the player across from the Dealer, Saver, when no opening bid from 1st Seat
3rd Seat = East = the player on the right of the Dealer
4th Seat = South = Dealer, Dump Position, player who is 'stuck' with the contract if all others pass.

During Play:
1st Seat = South = Declarer, the highest bidder, declarer of the hand's trump suit, and leader of the first trick
2nd Seat = West = LHO ("Left Hand Opposition")
3rd Seat = North = Dummy, the Declarer's partner
4th Seat = East = RHO ("Right Hand Opposition")

I personally don't use the compass directions, so please excuse me if they are wrong in any of the cases above.

I can see some room for improvements on the Glossary as far as the display.
Perhaps after the Meaning, I could offer some "aliases" & "relatives" presented as hyperlinks to other words within the Glossary.

For Example:
WORDS | MEANINGS | ALIASES | RELATED
3rd Seat | During Bidding, the player on the right of the Dealer; During Play, the player across from the Declarer | East,North, Dummy | 1st Seat, 2nd Seat, 4th Seat

Perhaps a bit of an overkill. Just thinking it out as I type it. Certainly not a priority. I've got tastier fish to fry for Power Pinochle!
It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing all your life. -- Mickey Mantle
I started using LHO and RHO because those are always focused on you, and are therefore unambiguous. But things like the cardinal directions are often easier. Developing a consistent writing style...which may be variable depending on the context...would be good, tho.

3rd seat has yet another meaning: on any specific trick during the play, it's the leader's partner.
Deleted:

BBS - name change is coming

Adjusted:

Cut

Added:

Adjusted Meld
Overcut
Overruff
Force
Duck
Dummy
Dealer
Meld Bid
Side Suit(s)

Need to add/adjust/correct:

Save, and Save Bid. For annotational purposes, I'd suggest Save (hand play) and Save (bidding)
Jump Bid, Double Jump Bid
Jump Bid: any bid 2 steps or more over the previous bid.
1st seat: first to act. During bidding, this is the player on dealer's left. During play, it's declarer.
2nd seat: second to act. During bidding, this is dealer's partner. Also known as Saver, when 1st seat passes. During play, declarer's LHO.
3rd seat: during bidding, the player to the right of the dealer. Important because 3rd seat bidding is often greatly different from any other seat.
North, East, South, West

Want new definition for:

Uppercut - I don't like using the word we are defining in the definition
Please add "Auction."

...and consider adding "Control Bid" and "Captaincy."
This new book has some additional terms that I can add as well.