Power Pinochle Forums

Full Version: The Official Glossary Editing Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Post all pinochle terms and/or definitions that need to be discussed, added, or tweaked here in this thread.

I cannot guarantee that every suggestion will be used, but I cannot imagine a scenario where the majority of the active members of our community agree and we don't make the edit.

So I present to you the official glossary editing thread!
Adjusted Meld

Split Deck
Split Deck has been updated in the glossary.

I'll wait for TE to give the official definition of Adjusted Meld, since he created/introduced the term to PP.
Adjusted meld:

Your meld score + your aces count. Used when giving meld to partner. Therefore, 16 meld and no aces does not have enough to give 20 meld; 16 meld and 4 aces does. Applies on all meld-count-showing bids; 44 with 6 aces is worth announcing 50 meld.
Some bridge terms that still apply:

Ruff: same as cut
Overruff: a 2nd player has to ruff the card led, and does so with a higher card than the first
Force: 1. to play a suit an opponent must ruff. 2. To play a card to force a higher card.
Uppercut: when 2 consecutive players are forced. The first is being uppercut: he has to ruff high or risk being overruffed. His trump suit quality in either case is eroded very quickly.
Duck: Not win a trick when you could.
Dummy: declarer's partner.
Dealer: the person who dealt the cards, and is therefore the player in the dump position (see dump)
1st seat: first to act. During bidding, this is the player on dealer's left. During play, it's declarer.
2nd seat: second to act. During bidding, this is dealer's partner. Also known as Saver, when 1st seat passes. During play, declarer's LHO.
4th seat: last to act. During play, declarer's RHO.
3rd seat: during bidding, the player to the right of the dealer. Important because 3rd seat bidding is often greatly different from any other seat.

Side note: you have Save, and Save Bid. For annotational purposes, I'd suggest Save (hand play) and Save (bidding), because I know I just use 'save' in auctions all the time. Quite a bit shorter. Smile Be nice if there was a common term for the "score your meld" 20...but there's not.

Hmm...

One thing I hate...Jump Bid, Double Jump Bid. First, your meaning only applies after 60, so 70 over 58 is...what? And what do you call 58 over 54? What is 75 over 60?

I realize that these might be the terms people learned, but they're really poor terms IMO. They're too specific, and leave too many gaps.

Personally, I prefer

Jump Bid: any bid 2 steps or more over the previous bid.
(02-11-2013, 04:55 PM)ToreadorElder Wrote: [ -> ]Adjusted meld:

Your meld score + your aces count. Used when giving meld to partner. Therefore, 16 meld and no aces does not have enough to give 20 meld; 16 meld and 4 aces does. Applies on all meld-count-showing bids; 44 with 6 aces is worth announcing 50 meld.

Can we make it two terms?

Adjusted Meld Count (or Number) - Meld plus the number of aces in the hand.

Adjusted Meld Bid - A meld bid using adjusted meld
Ruff has been added.
Why make 2 terms? Adjusted meld is simply a method of evaluating a hand's total value when you're giving meld. It simply gives somewhat more definition to the question, "how much meld should I tell partner I have?"
Adjusted Meld - 1 Raw Meld plus the number of aces in the hand
2 A bid using adjusted meld
THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

Guys, you're making it sound like you'll give an intonation or inflection difference, to say, oh, I'm bidding *adjusted* meld. NO.

Some people define 52 over 50 as 16-24 meld (maybe 26) meld...regardless of strength. This is blind. Meld ALONE is only part of the story. When partner gives me meld, I figure that meld and usually 2 tricks...so when partner gives 20, I can take my meld, add 2.5 points per trick in my hand, and add 25 for his total contribution. If he has 16 with 4 aces...well, that contribution rates to be 8-10, so he's right in the ballpark.
Pages: 1 2 3